Here's episode 4 subs! I struggled a little with wording everything in this episode, since there's a lot of fast-paced speech and fancy vocabulary, but thanks again to hoshizora20 who helped out checking over it all! She's also started subbing her own detective drama, Tantei Hoshikamo, so if you're interested go check that out in her community hsjhoshi too!
Softt subs are timed to the web-dl raw at chesutosakurai! This post will be member locked after the drama has finished airing in June :)
Nemesis Episode 4 - "In the Name of A.I."
Some translation notes:
[Spoiler (click to open)]- Knight's Tour is a way of playing chess.
- The school's name comes from the French philosopher, mathematician, and scientist, René Descartes.
- Anna's comment about the way of speaking in the school refers to how, because of the prestige of the school, they're supposed to use very formal language. It doesn't translate very well into English, but when she backtracks on what she says it's in order to sound more polite.
- Joui speaks extremely fast, and although I tried to make it easier to read, the subtitles do go quite fast so I apologise!
- Socrates/Plato were Greek philosophers, and Socrates' method is a type of debating. Here's the Wikipedia article.
- "Sensei" is the Japanese honorific used to refer to teachers, and some other professions. It's used in places such as educational settings and office settings, and would be taken more seriously here given the prestige of this school. Therefore, using "san" instead of "sensei," while still polite, is quite a contrast and suggests a closer or more senior relationship.
Episode 4 - "In the Name of A.I." Synopsis:
[Spoiler (click to open)]